1

A New Personal Goal

So here's the deal..

I have recently decided that I want to attempt to run the annual Walt Disney World marathon in 2012.

Honestly, I really can't pinpoint what made me decide that I wanted to do this, but ever since I got the little thought into my head, I realized that I really want and need do accomplish this goal. I'm not setting out to impress anyone, achieving this goal will be totally and completely something that I want to do for myself. Why you might ask? Because I want to, and most of all, because I believe that I can.

I am not a runner at the moment - at least I haven't been a runner for umm.. approximately 13 years - but am a rider. I have ridden horses very actively for the past 15 years, so it's not like I'm starting from nothing. I am physically active already, running is just going to be a different sort of physical activity. Something that will be good for me.

The plan is to start very slow, with my first goal to be able to run for 30 minutes straight. I then hope to be able to progress to be capable of doing a 5K and maybe even 10K run by the end of 2010. 2011 will hopefully be the year for more 10K runs and at least one half marathon in preparation for the big goal - the Walt Disney World marathon in January 2012.

The purpose of this blog is to have a written account of my journey from start, to finish. I just want to be able to have something to look back on in a couple of years when I reach my final goal. I think it will be great to be able to look back in the end to see how I struggled (because it is inevitable that I will struggle at the start), but then managed to power through. I know I can do this and have total and complete faith in myself.

If people feel that they want to follow me along through my personal journey, that will just be icing on the cake!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

L: I love it!
I've wanted to start running FOREVER, and after reading your post last night, I spent all day today researching different ways to get started. I found the best way to do it is through the Couch to 5K running program (http://www.c25k.com/). It's an eight-week program that gives you a three-day weekly plan that puts you in shape to run a 5k at the end of it (there are a TON in the spring around here, and I'm planning on doing the one in Mississauga). You can even download podcasts for free that tell you how to set up your intervals, ie. when to walk, when to run, so that you don't need a stop watch. I have so many questions for you: Are you training outdoors in the winter? Or using a treadmill? Why the Disney marathon - does it have a special significance to you or just because it looks like sooo much fun? I am so excited to follow you on this journey, and I'm even tempted to start my own blog to document my own. Let me know if you need any other resources..I was able to find a ton of cool stuff while procrastinating at work today! :) All the best on your runs - kick butt!

Post a Comment